Early labor

The morning of my due date I woke up around 4 AM to my bloody show and some more intense cramps than what I had previously experienced throughout pregnancy. I got excited so of course I couldn’t sleep like I should have. If anything, I did the complete opposite of what they tell you to do. I did some massive cleaning that day and even taped a list to the door of things to do right before we leave for the hospital, such as take out the trash and water my plants. I started timing these contractions throughout the day and overall they did get stronger and closer together, though I wasn’t sure if I was actually feeling and timing them right or if it was all in my head. We were supposed to hang out with a friend later that evening but I had Tommy cancel just in case. I would have hidden in the bedroom to avoid being embarrassed by my uncomfiness, but in all honesty I wanted the evening alone with Tommy in case the baby decided to come in a day or so. It would be our last time alone as just two people instead of three.

Anyway well Tommy didn’t really believe me about my contractions, and frankly one of the OBs said to not go to the hospital unless the contractions were 5 minutes apart, 1 minute in length, had been that way for 2 hours, AND if I had difficulty talking through them. Well I had the first three but I could still talk just fine. When I showed Tommy my contraction timer and it showed my contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart he started to panic and insist that we go to the hospital.

20151112_214656I wasn’t quite ready and it was Thursday, which meant Scandal was on TV.

I had Tommy load some last minute things and tidy up while I insisted on watching my show. Tommy also decided that it was a good time to start reading books about labor and delivery. I did suggest multiple times that he read them a few months ago, but he ignored me as usual. Apparently everyone around me was more freaked out than I was.

Well we got to the hospital and I thought they would send me home, but it turns out that I was 4 cm dilated already so they admitted me. The contractions did get worse, it was the middle of the night, and Tommy fell asleep.

Leave a Comment